Robert is an innovative problem-solver, equally at home working alone or as part of a team. Well-suited to situations requiring both an overall strategic vision and the need to work in partnership with others to achieve results.
Robert's local government career has not been structured around any one professional discipline, nor limited to a single service area. He has worked in urban and rural areas for and with city, district and county councils.
His particular strengths are:
- building relationships across a wide spectrum of organisations and individuals
- assessing needs and harnessing resources from a wide range of sources to meet them
- delivering high quality work under pressure of time, resources and political sensitivity
- using diplomacy and negotiating skills to build consensus with politicians and partners
- mastering complex issues quickly and turning that understanding into action
- setting clear goals and communicating them in ways that motivate others
- challenging colleagues and partners without creating unnecessary confrontation
- spotting opportunities and unforeseen connections
Robert is an accomplished public speaker and has addressed national and international conferences on community engagement, Total Place and partnership working.